vacuum question

To: "Kevin Valentine" <kevin@valentinephoto.net>
Subject: vacuum question
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:37:25 -0400
Cc: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
I've been researching my overheating problem.  I came across an article by
Paul Tegler where he describes vacuum being pulled from the balance pipe
rather than the carb port.  From what I understand this can lead to incorrect
advance.  Very possibly the cause of my hot engine.

My understanding is that if the vacuum unit on the dizzy points away from the
dizzy the vacuum should be from the carb.  My carb port is plugged so I want
to drill it out and attach the vacuum line and plug the balance tube cap where
the vacuum line is now.

I have 1.5" SUs and the hole I want to open is on the rear SU just behind (on
engine side) the top of the butterfly where it opens away from the top of the
carb.

My question is... does this sound like I am opening the correct hole on the
SU?  Also should there be a fitting on the carb to hold the vacuum pipe or can
I just epoxy the pipe directly into the carb and should I fit the pipe just
flush with the inside of the carb?

As always thanks for all the help.
Phil Nase
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa