Re: vacuum question HELP

To: Phil Nase <nase@ptd.net>, David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Subject: Re: vacuum question HELP
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:50:32 GMT j7P1r4WI000787
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
OK, Phil...

The spec calls for a Type DM2 dizzy in the
case of the 948cc motor. Later 1098 &
1275's use the later Type 25D4, with the exception of the early 1275's
(normally, the thin wall or thin "flange" blocks) which used the same mech.
advance only 23D4
which also equipped the Cooper S of that
time, curve (Serial #) #40819

#40561 is the correct curve for the Spridget
948cc motor according to my factory man.
and runs ported vac. to the carb. So your
948 is all set.

As far as your 1275 goes, it's running the
incorrect dizzy. I am not familiar with it's
serial # (curve) either.

So it looks like you've got an "unknown"
DM2 type dizzy in your 1275. It shouldn't
be there. What belongs there is one of the
25D4 types mentioned on Tegler's website.

Email me your engine # and I should be able to find out which 25D4 belongs in
there according to my factory man.

Now....decent used Lucas dizzies are getting
scarce. Even Aldon can't supply them any
more. They rebuild your's if you send it to
them, as long as it does not require a new
shaft. Otherwise they've run out of cores.

Now...
NAPA used to sell a rebuilt Lucas 23D,
#40819 (as mentioned above)
for less than $100. I don't know whether they are still carrying these but I
will forward you the part number it used
to be carried under and you can check it
out with your local NAPA guys.  If they still
carry it and you pick one up, simply install
and set to 22 degrees @ 1,200 rpm and you're done.

If not, I'd pick up one of the multi-curve
Canadian pure electronic units like the
one just purhased by fellow lister Dave
Lieb. He can advise you on this alternative
I'm sure.

You can use the Weber downdraught meant for a 948 on the 1275. However,
you'd have to recalibrate all parts (jets,
venturis, aux. venturis, etc.) to 1275
spec. and then match the carb to an appropriate intake manifold for the larger
motor.

www.piercemanifolds.com can direct you
on this.

Cap'n Bob