Re: Re: header coating

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: header coating
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:35:37 -0400
The site that you provided says:
"Insulated headers also reduce radiant heat and lower underhood and cockpit
temperature."

I can tell you that a cracked header does the opposite! :)  My muffler recently
broke off and I re-attached it to the slightly shortened exhaust pipe.  I
didn't think to test drive it . . . after all, what changes can re-attaching a
muffler make?!  Suddenly I found myself needing to use the MG as transportation
and with the Ford disabled and locked away, I turned to Miss Marple.  The
exhaust pipe must have been cracked for a long time because the muffler is much
quieter now.  The noise is mostly from under the bonnet.  And there is a good
hot breeze coming from the Y in the header.  It sounds like an old v-dub and
performs like one too!!  Embarrassing to drive.  I had to drive it twice
yesterday before I got the Ford back.  Does a well cracked header really alter
the performance so greatly, or do I potentially have more than one problem?

Robert