Concours Tire Information Wanted

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Concours Tire Information Wanted
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:34:12 -0400
    Regarding Buster Evans` message, I was fortunate that the original owner
of my Bugeye saved the window invoice. Among the several accessories listed is
Whitewall Tires at $30. The BMIHT certificate, however, does not show WWs
among the factory equipment for the car reportedly built 14-15 December 1960.
If I can get in touch with the lady, I`ll ask her. Since she worked at the
dealer that sold the Bug from the late 50s until BL went bust, she would
likely know if it arrived with WWs.
    When I got my Midget in October 65, there were a number of Midgets on the
lot and in the showroom that had Dunlop WWs. Some of  those cars were freshly
delivered, still in the cosmoline, or whatever that waxy stuff protected cars
in shipment, so I wouldn`t think the dealer changed the tires. None of those
cars had radials.
    I understand that accessories could be installed at POE, but I don`t know
which. As an aside, I do believe that the cars were not normally imported with
radios. Bugeyes (at least here in the Baltimore area) usually got dealer
fitted Motorolas with switchable polarity. Inside, that radio is virtually the
same as the later BMC radio. So much for hocking your Rolex to get one of
those elusive Radiomobiles.
    It was common back then for people to exchange  usually unsatisfactory
standard tires upon delivery of the car. I recall that tire shops offered
deals on "dealer take-offs." So the dealer probably would not have kept tires.
Many of us did remove the bias plys and put on radials as soon as we could
afford it. My Semprits cost about $30 or so each. Now we spend the big $ to
put the bias tires back on.

Bert Shirey
60 Bugeye/ 66 Midget Mk II