Stuck in first gear

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck in first gear
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:32:32 -0500
Sorry to interrupt this old age discussion mailing list with a technical
questions about Spridgets, but here it goes:

My wife's 1972 MG Midget vintage racer got stuck in first gear the other
day when I was putting it back on the trailer from a car show.

Now, I've heard of this happening, so I knew that I couldn't just force
it out.

I pulled the engine and transmission and, fortunately, I had another
transmission to go back into the car.  Coincidently, the fellow that
rebuilt this transmission put a bolt into the housing to prevent first
gear from going too far and getting stuck.

However, what is it I need to do to free up the old transmission?  Do I
have to completely dissassemble it or is there just a couple of parts I
need to move out of the way?  What is it that causes these things to lock
into first gear?

Thanks in advance for any help...

David Littlefield
1974 MG Midget vintage racecar #57