soooon, will be running sooon!! Couple last minute questions

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: soooon, will be running sooon!! Couple last minute questions
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:52:17 -0600
...and any last minute advice.
OK, on my 62 948 Mk2, am going to attempt to start it this week.
This car was totally apart, engine rebuilt in my basement.
First indication of 'further work needed" is when I put coolant in it last
week, leaked, actually "dripping" coolant from the frost plugs/freeze
plugs/core plugs, whatever they are called where you live. Adised by a link
from Colin Dodds that the plugs need to be peened or pounded til almost flat,
to spread and tighten these to the block. Lucky for me, because actually the
rear one (on the side) came out WITH A MAGNET! Yikes! Has spares for the 2 I
had to ruin to remove, peened them down as best I could after installing. I'm
sure others realize, "oh yeah" gotta remove the generator and dizzy to do
this, although the rear one is tough, not much swingin' room. At this time,
with the coolant back in, they seem alot better, almost like a small small
amount at the very bottom lip of the plugs, but not enough to drip at all. I
did put 1/2 tube of "aluma-seal" in the radiator, hoping this will stop the
rest. I am also seeing collection of coolant at the base of the head, near #1
cylinder, near the engine ID plate, wondering if the engine needs to get up to
operating temp before the head gasket seals, I know some engines are like
this. Head was flattened by a machine shop, so was the deck of the block, so
should all be flat. Small leak where the temp probe enters the side of the
radiator too, almost seems like I can move that probe a little, even though
the fitting for it is as tight as I can get it (not stripped, but very tight)
like maybe it needs a new fitting (dual gauge was rebuilt, new tube but used
old fitting.
Any other last minute tips would be appreciated too. I did put some oil in the
"priming" hole. Plugs are out, I will get oil pressure, then install plugs.
Dan