RE: I Love opinions...

To: "'Ron Soave'" <soavero@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I Love opinions...
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:10:01 -0600
Yeah, it was Blackhawk that the former Red Rat motor turned to toast. It had
7 (hard) race seasons on it. The interesting thing was that the failure was
caused by the brass restrictors in the cross drilled crank... for some
reason, after all that time, walked out and scored 2 bearings. Everything
else internal on that motor looked stellar, despite its many hours of hard
racing use.

The new stock motor puked oil when the oil filter seal blew out... something
that's happened twice in my years of racing. One time it happened in
RedRum's current race motor... going in to 1 at Road America. I was running
Redline. I shut it down as the pressure dropped, and it was fine. At
Grattan, in the incident that Ron recounts, I was running conventional oil
for break in, and it wiped the bearings when the oil decided to depart.