Re: Tandem master again

To: "Alan" <theshoe5@comcast.net>, "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: Tandem master again
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:14:46 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Alan,

The usual reason for the leak from Apple or anyone else is likely damage to
the piston, the one that the push rod goes into.  Any damage to the OUTER
surface if the piston, which typically occurs on disassembly with the wrong
snap ring pliers, (Read that as makeshift) or the removal of the plastic
quide.  If that piston gets nicked or gouged, the seal will leak.  It's not
likely from a seemingly rough bore.

This is NOT in defense of Apple, but I'm sure there are a lot of folks on
the list that have rebuilt these, damaged the piston and it leaked and just
can't understand it.  So they order a new one and guess what!  It doesn't
leak!

A new one at somewhat over $200 is frequently a bargain.

Paul A