Fwd: Midget 1500 Ignition

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Midget 1500 Ignition
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:22:24 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
From Dbcooper292 at aol.com
Full-name: Dbcooper292
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:22:05 EST
Subject: Re: Midget 1500 Ignition
To: bouchard@umich.edu

In a message dated 12/13/2005 10:18:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bouchard@umich.edu writes:

> Several years ago I changed over to a Mallory dual point distributor but I
> am now interested in going to electronic ignition.  What are the
> recommendations?  Best manufacturer/source? Potential pitfalls? etc.
>
> The car runs well but I would like better starting and ignition control.
>
> Thanks, Ben
> '76 Midget 1500

Ben my 1500 runs really well with the Crane 700 system.  Crane also sells a
3000 or something, it's much more powerful but from what I've heard the extra
power isn't necessary unless you're pretty extreme in your build and can cause
problems like jumping charges.  My experience with the 700 is that it's
relatively cheap very reliable and easy to use.  It doesn't conceal itself so
if you
want an original look something else like a Petronix is in order.  The Crane
700 has a box and a wiring harness which are very obvious under the hood.

It has an indicator LED to help initial timing, and it's a big help.  The
only confusion I had is that it's intended for every vehicle ever so the
instructions left me filling in some blanks about exactly what I have and what
to do
with it, but on the other hand you can use the timing disc they include for 12
cyl jags or allison rotary engines or whatever it's for as a dinner plate or
assasination frisbee.

Mark M.

PS I know I said I was unsubscribing but majordomo seems attached to me or
something, it's just not happening.