RE: Non-hypothetical question, 1098 vs. 1275

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@exit109.com>
Subject: RE: Non-hypothetical question, 1098 vs. 1275
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:16:17 -0500
Cc: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Thanks, Frank.  While I'm confident that a healthy 1275 can run at 4500 rpm,
for as long as it needs to run there (BTDT), I'm sure I don't want to listen
to it for more than an hour at a time.  It drives the wife nuts, when I run
4,000 rpm for any length of time (claims it gives her a headache).  My
solution to that problem (wife) is to drive my 356, whenever I take her
along.  Of course, she'd rather we drive her Passat (great car, but modern
cars bore the SNOT out of me).  Ultimately, I'll get my MGB-GT back on the
road, and that'll make both of us happy.
However, I reached the conclusion, last summer, that I actually enjoy
Spridgets more than any other car I've owned/driven.  Wife is very tolerant
of my automotive hobby, as long as I don't insist on dragging her along to
every "car thing".  So, I've resolved to build myself a Midget that is just
what I want for traveling to select vintage racing events with some old
friends, most of whom drive TR3s & TR4s.  Since my stock '72 Midget runs
rings around the Triumphs (yeah, I like 'em, but TR really stands for
'truck'), on our local back roads, I'm not that concerned with straight line
performance.  I just want a Midget capable of more relaxed cruising, in the
70-80 mph range, while still delivering excellent fuel economy.  I like the
idea of using a 1098, if practical.  If the Datsun 5 spd. allows me to match
a stock 1275 4 spd. acceleration, while allowing me to cruise comfortably at
70-80 all day, with good fuel economy, that would be my choice.  I realize
that it may be unrealistic to expect all of that from a 1098, but, I want to
research the idea thoroughly, before I commit time and money to one or the
other.
Has anyone ever put together a gear ratio/engine rpm/road speed chart, for
the Datsun 5 speed, in a Spridget?  Fuel mileage?
Bud Osbourne