Re: Yet another front suspension question

To: Phil Nase <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Yet another front suspension question
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:35:10 -0500
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net, "bugeye@yahoogroups" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>
Phil Nase wrote:

> Last evening I started hanging the right front A arm with disc brakes.  I
> already had the shock mounted.
>
> With the bushings in the lower fulcrums I slid the bolts in.  On the front
> side the bolt does not exit the hole at the center.  I can move it a bit but
> not entirely centered.
>
> Also when raising up the hub the trunnion doesn't line up behind the shock
> lever.

Phil

Lower A arm bushings....
Stick one bushing (rear facing) on each side, put the A arm up into the
frame, insert the pins. Now install the 2nd bushing in the bigger hole,
put on the washer and nut. A slight tap with a hammer is all that should
be needed on new bushing just to line up the pin with the holes.

On the trunions, are the the correct way around?
Instinct tells you they point outboard when the knuckle should face inboard.
Also, use a sharpie to mark the location of the notch, mark this on one
of the flats on the large side of the nut oposite the notch, it makes it
easier to line up that shock arm bolt when you can't see it.

I find it easier to loosely screw on the top trunion nut and raise it
all up then hook it up with the horizonal trunion/shock arm bolt.
It beats trying to line up the  top trunion hole on the king pin.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ