Re:Paint - codes

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Paint - codes
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:28:08 -0800
On Dec 27, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Martyn Ridley wrote:
There is a Healey book with all the BMC paint colours available.

Donald Pikovnik printed "Austin-Healey, Guide to Historic Colors."
First this is printed rather than published in that as far as I know
it was only available from Donald, who is a printer.  I do not know
if he is still printing the volume or not.  Any way he found cars
that still had the original paint, got a color spectrum of the paint
and then matched that to ink mixtures to produce the "paint chips"
that are in his book.  He also list the original paint codes,
basically useless, as well as the ICI codes.  At one time there was a
move a foot to be able to take the ICI code to any paint manufactory
an they would be able to mix the color.  I am not sure that happen
but in the late 90's I heard that PPG had "acquired" all of the ICI
codes but am not sure what that means other than they were suppose to
be able to mix paints via the ICI codes. I do know that PPG has/had
all of the codes/formulas for British car colors.  Some of the PPG
dealers had these chip books, put out by PPG, but I have only seen
one an that was in a small PPG store in TN in 1998 or 1999.

Besides Donald's book I also have a BMC "Key to Body Exterior and
Main Trim Colour Combinations" which has the original color codes,
still useless, and a number of color codes for various other paint
manufactures that some one has added to the list.  These additional
references may also be useless but I will be glad to look up codes
for anyone in Donald's list as well as the BMC list.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (Trevor, in boxes)
2000 Miata Special Edition