Tip for doing R&R on Wiper motor

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tip for doing R&R on Wiper motor
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:45:02 -0800 (PST)
Bugsy's Wiper Motor had been working fine but after not using for some months
started absolutely howling and trying to bind up. Since getting to the wiper
motor bolts is a 2 person job, I used my Dremel Tool to cut a slot in the end
of the mounting bolts. Now I can hold the bolt from the inside of the car with
a small screwdriver while simultaneously using a ratcheting box wrench on the
bolt. My S.O. objected strenuously to placing her head under the hood, worrying
about prop rod coming down, and holding a wrench while I stood on my head
inside the car. Solution = domestic bliss.

  Also, waxed dental floss works great to pull motor brushes back out of the
way for motor reassembly. Brushes can be pulled back and tied with a simple
half hitch. Once armature is past brushes, dental floss can be pulled tightly
using forceps, tweezers, etc. and the knot will slip allowing the dental floss
to be cut and pulled out intact. Works really slick.

  Motor now reinstalled, bushing on bottom of armature is now lubricated, and
it doesn't scream loud obnoxious sounds whenever I happen to turn on the wipers.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.