Re: Can't Make it Here Anymore

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can't Make it Here Anymore
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 01:51:16 -0500
Dang! Looks like the James McMurtry thread stirred up a bunch of muzak
guys here, as well. I have many comments, it's late, and here I just
came down here into the Lab of Doom and Pepsi-Cola (with apology to
Alice & Bill of Computer Shopper) to start a data recovery.  I booted
to a Knoppix disk, was just making sure I was online and stopped by
here. Here's some comments, and I have to continue working...

IH Travelall, I have a friend with one long ago, very cool stuff! We
once pulled a conversion van out of the snow. He thought IT Travelall
was cool, also.

I have my grandfather's approx 1920 mandolin, it's a cheapy, the top
started caving last year, so i loosened the strings, it's relegated to
a wall hanging now. Repair is possible, but it's really not worth it.
If I want to continue with that, I should just get a more modern one.
My favorite stunt was 'slide mandolin'.

Couple of Les Pauls, a real nice Schecter Strat (that I just gave to
my stepson for Christmas). Of course Schecters will never be as $$$ as
Fenders, but this is the 18th whole guitar they made. I recently
borrowed a crummy Cougar lap steel. As a bad guitar player (TM) I have
always been fascinated with Steel/slide. A real pedal steel is too
complicated for me, with all the knee levers and pedals. I got some
fingerpicks and dutifully stumbled through C6 and E6 tunings. It was
more fun to tune it to DADGAD, put the tube amp on 11 and just bang on
it. I have a friend in St. Louis MO with a '63 LP Junior (single
cutaway). In the early 70's (when it was just an old guitar) they
propped all the guitars after a gig on the side of a van. The van
left, and ran over three guitars! My friend got the Jr. a new neck
(glued neck joint and all!). It was really a better guitar then, but
it's antique value was gone.

I'm really a keyboard guy, Still have about everything I owned, 1971
Farfisa, Korg Triton, Peavey DPM3, but my fave keyboards are the old
analog monsters. Roland Jupiter 8, Roland SH101, and Moog Prodigy. In
the mid 80's I was a very active home studio guy, synced computer
w/SMPTE to tape, mastered to 2-track digital, blahblah. This was
considered pretty weird for a farmer, at the time. My brush with
greatness studio-wise was that I
composed/peformed/recorded/mixed/edited 9 pilots for a children's TV
show which tanked. I got to meet Ah-nold, Caroline Kennedy, and some
wrestler guy. I got my name in the credits, they paid me well (which I
promptly sunk into More Stuff), but it never got off the ground. I did
a lot of jingles, but being firmly stuck in the MIdwest, I
didn't/couldn't travel enough to promote it effectively.

I spent a few years recently in a bar band, nobody had delusions of
MTV. It was fun for awhile, but with the cheap competition of DJ's, I
finally pulled the plug on that, as well.

WST, I was a trombone kinduva guy when I was young, that looks more
like a fluegelhorn to me.

<promotion on>

[note, I love HTML. Absolutely NONE of the following links are my
work. It is pop-up and cookie hell]

Me in 1975. Remember, this was the Glam era. Bowie was big, Mott the
Hoople, etc. The silver paint scared everyone. This was in a town of
2,000 people at the time.
http://www.mezmerband.com/archivegallery/Archive002.jpg

Myself about four years ago. I'm the bald guy with a ponytail. Look at
the very nice tobacco sunburst 1974 LP the OTHER GUY is playing.
http://www.mezmerband.com/shows/wilson_park/WP_049.jpg

Biker gig. As always, frustrated because Real Guitar Players get the
girls (J/K), I take the Korg to new heights. I had a freshly broken
toe here (the bass player kid dropped his end of his Ampeg on loadin).
As part of my non-conformist ways, note that I hate advertising, and
covered up the KORG logo with a bumper sticker.
http://www.mezmerband.com/shows/big_muddy/BM_010.jpg

</promotion off>