Re: Can't Make it Here Anymore..times are bad...best times..right now

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Can't Make it Here Anymore..times are bad...best times..right now
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 05:09:09 -0800
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
On Jan 7, 2006, at 4:54 AM, Robert E. Shlafer wrote:

> Nope. Trust me....they never ever even gave this aspect of their
> purchase a thought, believe me.

On the contrary, the ability to pay for gasoline is part of the
"display." In the late 19th and early 20th century, people of means
cultivated a considerable girth to show that they were well off (think
William Howard Taft). A century later, the girth goes into the size of
one's transportation. "I have money to burn" is the message.

Meanwhile, their demand drives up prices for everyone.

Mark