Re: beating cars

To: <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: beating cars
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:25:45 GMT
"Mechanical sympathy" (empathy?)

Exactly. Something I've always had to one extent or another, reinforced to a
massive extent when I became responsible for terrifically expensive turbine
engines which, at the time, did not have devices to protect them from
over-torque or worse, over-temp. like today's even more expensive aircraft
motors.

Today's airliner engines "read out" at
the home maintence headquarters on a
continuous basis out of respect for long term economy of operation (and safety,
of
course) out of respect for the principle of
"mechanical empathy".

I like machines and never understood
"boys breaking their toys"
except when it came to competition driving...wherein it may not be entirely
unintentionally avoidable for obvious reasons. I mean you don't win/finish by
breaking the car.

And no....I don't consider spirited "drive it
like you stole it" style anywhere near "abusive", assuming the car is thorougly
"warmed" and suitably well maintained.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)