Rear wheel seal on the bug-i

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear wheel seal on the bug-i
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:02:45 -0800
Hi All,

Well, I finally looked under Puddles today and after sitting for two months in
the winter.  She has developed a significant leak.  In fact, that's why I
looked.  It ran down the tire and made a good size spot on the floor under the
tire.    I have removed the axle and bearing hub to find my speedy sleeve worn
in-two. I had this problem about four years ago and found the axle house worn
where the bearing tilted and grooved the housing.  I repaired the groove with
liquid metal then used a sleeve to aid in the seal.

Presently the seal has worn a groove completely around the sleeve.  The seal is
still soft and looks real good.  I can't see how a rubber seal can wear into a
stainless sleeve.  But I guess if you have enough heat a rubber wheel can cut
metal.  When I first repaired the groove I, being atypical Sprite owner (we
tight)  I didn't replace the seal or bearing.  It all looked real good.

So am I right to replace all the moving parts, seal and bearing and try again.
Should I replace the speedy sleeve or run with out it?  I already sanded it
smooth.

Cheers

Wrongway Ricky
60 Frog eye "Puddles"