Re: Bottom end engine rebuild

To: "de Brebisson, Cyrille \(Calculator Division\)" <cyrille@hp.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bottom end engine rebuild
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:05:48 -0800
Hi Cyrill,

Yes, you'll have to undo any bearing cap that you've put a piece of
Plasti-gage in.  Then you measure the width of the crush with the plast-gage
wrapper to see what the clearance is.  Then retorque it, but leave in the
chunk of plasti-gage.  It's just wax and will do no harm.  You might screw
up the bearing shell if it's stuck on it and you try to dig/scrape it off.

Easiest to measure the end play of the crank with a dial indicator.  If it's
too much,
thrust washers in oversize are available.  Sometimes you need to replace
only one side of the thrust washer to bring it to spec.

Also measure the camshaft end play the same way, but with the thrust plate
in place and the gear torqued up.

If the ring gap is too much, by a lot, then you might have the bore too
large for the
piston/ring set you have.  Potential super bummer!

Pa