RE: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:59:05 -0800
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
 Well that will teach you. Actually your belts on the shelf are
theoretically fine since it's UV damage that ruins the nylon, but the tech
guys have no way of knowing that you stored them in a refrigerator behind
the beer.

I find used seat belts make fine restraints for grandkids--cheaper than
babysitters and a lot less work.

For what it's worth, the helmet stuff is pretty legit. Old helmets get
brittle. I whined about the same thing and one of our local tech inspectors
let (okay, made) me read a little booklet he had from Snell that had test
results for older helments. they are much less resistant to penetration when
they are older. Maybe the fibreglass keeps hardening--most things that are
kicked off by a catalyst do still harden over time. I just screwed up my new
surfboard by using it too soon--I have heel dents all over the top of it.
The shaper said to wait three weeks--HA! Fat chance.

Besides, the dents give it character. Like Peyote.

===  Help keep Team.Net on the air
===     http://www.team.net/donate.html