Racing on wire wheels?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Racing on wire wheels?
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:37:11 EST
I have a square arch Midget with wire wheels, which I am planning on taking
to driving school at Lime Rock. I just recently did the brakes and shocks
front  and rear. My friend/instuctor, who races a Miata, questions if the wire
wheels  are going to be safe on the track.

This driving school is "non-competive", so my goal is just to run a safe  fun
car. In fact most people show up with overpowered modern cars, so no matter
what I do, I am going to have the slowest car. I really don't feel like
swaping the rear axle and front suspension just for one day.

I do plan on replacing the tires.

So what are the widest tires I can fit on a square arch Midget with  stock 4"
wire wheels?

What can I do to check out the wire wheels? (I do have an extra  set)

David Oliner