Re: [midgetsprite] Re: 159 mph

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: 159 mph
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:05:11 -0600
From Alan
To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 8:33 PM
Subject: [midgetsprite] Re: 159 mph

Larry,
I've followed this case with interest ..(don't ask !)
Also last year  a business man in Scotland was fined #2,500 plus #500
costs (that's all) last year for driving on an A road (an ordinary 2
way road, not a motorway) whilst simultaneously using a mobile phone
at 158 mph !

But the one I bitch about were the two motorcyclists, on an empty
motorway  prosecuted for doing 148 mph , they were sent to one of the
worst prisons in the UK for 28 days , I understand they had their
bikes confiscated and destroyed , they lost their jobs, their driving
licences and I think one lost his house also.
One law for the rich and the police and another law for the likes of
us.
When we test at high speeds (180mph plus) we have to hire a test
track.
AlanEJ

Alan, I have to admit that 158 mph on an A road is a bit much.  While yakking
on a cell phone is stupid.

159, even on an M road, is pushing it.  One dumbass pulling out in front of
you means disaster.  I've done some pretty high speed runs (not quite 159, but
not far behind) on public roads and have to admit, now that I'm older and,
ostensibly, more mature, that it was pretty dumb.

To show what can happen, when I was a dumb kid, I had a 54 Dodge with a Hemi
in it.  I decided, in my youthful stupidity, to take it out for a high speed
run.  At 110, as it was just starting to wind up and get going, the hood
(bonnet) popped up and bent back over the windshield. Kinda raised the hair on
the back of my neck.  As is the case, I'm sure, with more than a few of us on
these lists, it's really a wonder I'm still alive after some of the stunts
I've pulled.

The two bikers got the shaft.  No question that there is more than one set of
rules depending on who you are -- same here in the states.  Those penalties
are pretty extreme.

Larry

P.S. OK, guys, time for a thread about your dumbest youthful driving
experience.