Ongoing saga of my wrinkly seat covers (nother long one)

To: "Biff" <biffjones@erols.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ongoing saga of my wrinkly seat covers (nother long one)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:21:04 -0600
Biff and list;
I may have stumbled on something in regards to the wrinkled or wavy piping,
maybe.
Was trying a few of Biffs suggestions, such as using lots of heat, and
applying the cover inside out, working my way down the backrest with it, using
a garbage bag to allow the cover to slip on easier, and checking for lots of
material on the outside of the seam (did trim off maybe 3/16" or so along the
top. Nothing really was working, I can get small sections to run straight, but
I could tell it wouldn't end up this way after clipping the cover down, I had
to hold direct pressure on the individual areas. So what to do what to do.
Stare at it and scratch my, uh, head. So, it dawned on me, *what if* the inner
beading that forms the piping (the "core", if you will), was too long? What
would happen? Probably make a few errant curves? Noted down at the bottom of
the piping on each side that the beading made an abrupt end where the flap is
sewn on for attaching to the backrest. Well, hell, what do I have to lose?
slit open the piping on each side, each side had a small "broken" piece of the
beading, removed those, tugged on the cover a bit, wishful thinking I'm sure,
but maybe a bit better!. Got my teeny needle nose pliers and tryied to coax
more of the core out, finally successful in tugging out maybe an inch on each
side and isn't perfect, but better, so hoping I'm on the right track. Afraid
of the core snapping at some point inside the piping though. Thought it may be
a good place to stop yanking on the core and ask around for advice, so I'll
have someone to blame (LOL, J/K). I'm thinking more heat and gradual pulling
til it's straight (not wiggling around).
I've seen new covers (probably not Spridget, unsure) before where the core of
the piping is just dangling out, maybe this is the way some seat cover
manufacturers produce their covers to prevent this? Hoping I can trim off the
ends of the core when I'm done and won't be noticed.
Dan