Re: FW: Re: Tach reduction gear

To: "cfchrist@earthlink.net" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Re: Tach reduction gear
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:40:45 -0800
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
cfchrist@earthlink.net wrote:

>it would make sense that the only difrence in the tachometers designed to be
>used with the tach drive would be the maximum available reading on gauge face.
>

>so the reduction unit corrects of what diameter pulley is on the generator

Well, that certainly makes sense even to a bonehead such as myself.  I
went to the parts manual, and it does not indicate any production
changes to either the "ratio box" (what we call the tach reduction
gear), the tachometer itself, or the generator pulley.  I suspect that
it all means that Donald Healey came to realize that the original
Smith's tach reduction gear supplied with the Sprite could not be
repaired outside the Smith's factory and it was therefore subject to an
early re-design.

What surprises me is that Donald Healey, who was noted for using parts
from other marques, would have a purpose-built "ratio box".

Buster Evans