RE: Chuck becomes flying projectile

To: "'Timothy H. Collins'" <thcollin@mtu.edu>, "'James Gruber'" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chuck becomes flying projectile
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 06:39:21 -0600
Talk about a sore subject for me...

1975... I took a year off after high school, before going to college, and
worked as a sheet metal fabricator and welder at a factory that made
chemical & food dryers.

One day, I was tightening a bit in the chuck of a large drill press. My
fingers were wrapped around the chucky key as I tightened the bit, and the
drill was set to a very high speed....and this old guy I worked with turned
the drill on.

The force of the drill corkscrewed my hand, then my arm, then my whole body,
and flipped me around. When I got off the ground, in intense pain, my hand
almost immediately swelled to twice its normal size. They sent me to the
"company clinic". I don't even remember if I got an x-ray. To this day, I
have a knot on the tendon in the palm of my hand.