Re: Machine shop chatter (no lbc)

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Machine shop chatter (no lbc)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:53:39 -0600 reply-type=response
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Until American's demand better quality (higher prices for product) we will
continue to get Crap from China and other places the US consumer doesn't
care that they buy subpar crap, therefore the manufactures have no reason to
ramp up QA on the product.  If American's would boycott with the US$ then we
would see better products, it is not that China has an inability to produce
a quality product it is that they don't have to (don't even get me started
on doing the right thing when you build something, that is the human
equation).

My other hobby is astronomy, some of the highest quality mirrors in
telescopes come from China (for amateur market), 5 years ago Chinese mirrors
weren't worth the sand they were made from, American hobbyist quit buying
their scopes and then within a year we started seeing amazing quality
rolling out of China so if the US will brave it up we will see improvement,
I don't see that happening sadly.

We keep knocking Jap cars but I find it funny we like to use the Mazda 5
speed for our spridgets, says something for the quality in my book.  I have
over 200,000 miles on my Nissan Xterra, we used to be able to get that from
"American" cars, and some you can but I find it hard.

I agree on the crap of tools we have, I'll die before I give up my 30 year
old drills and gear drive saws I've been buying up at estate sales for a
dollar or two, yeah they aren't shinny and pretty but the work like the
devil and don't break.

Charlie
OKC,OK