metallurgy question

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: metallurgy question
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:23:00 -0800
I'm going to be welding up a manifold from mild steel tubing, three short
stubs of 1.25" going into a 'log' 2" in diameter.  This will mate a turbo to a
1275.

My question is, would the finished manifold be less likely to crack if the
manifold is heated up to red heat and cooled slowly before use?  The original
was made by the PO and has cracked at the welds several times over the years.
This one will be a copy made with thinner gauge steel.  I presume the cracks
are from the stress of the 'log' expanding as it gets hot, while the faceplate
bolted to the head is much cooler and doesn't expand nearly as much.   Would
thick or thinner steel be less lkely to crack in this situation?

Once I finish this one for the bugeye, I plan to design one to mate a modern
small turbo (VW?) to a 948 (Austin Powerless).

Thanks,
Glen Byrns