running engine w/o gearbox

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: running engine w/o gearbox
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:02:21 -0500
I'm getting closer to start up!  The engine turns and it's fully mounted in
my TR3, however, the bottom rear of the engine is supported by a floor jack,
and a logging chain (for security's sake), and I think the mounted exhaust
pipe wants to take a little weight off the motor.  Needless to say, I am
confident in it's support.
    But I have the gearbox, pressure plate and clutch disc removed from the
car.  If you may remember, the flywheel to crankshaft bolts were thought to
be a problem yesterday, but they were fine.  The lockdown problem was
elsewhere.
    What I'm getting at is that I'd like to crank the motor without the
tranny on it.  Is it permissable to do this?
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey 60TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org