drill motor oil priming- where did I go wrong?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: drill motor oil priming- where did I go wrong?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:29:55 -0500
Hi,
I've done a search of the archives but it takes too long w/ my slow modem.

My question is about priming the oil pump.  I have heard that this is an
important step.  I thought I understood the procedure until tonight.  I
sought to turn the smaller silver circle in the hole left by the removal of
the distributor housing.
    This 'smaller silver circle' has a pin running straight through it.  The
smaller silver circle is enclosed by a slotted brass outer circle.  I
thought I had seen where this brass circle is the bushing for the smaller
silver distributor shaft which turns inside it.
    When I made up a tool to turn this smaller silver circle it had to have
a slot in it to grab the pin inside it.  However. it doesn't want to turn.
I had hoped my special tool could be turned anticlockwise by a drill motor
creating oil pressure.  But it wouldn't budge- where did I go wrong?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey 60TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org