Sgteering column - is it broken?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sgteering column - is it broken?
From: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:31:22 -0800
OK, so I'm swapping out my settring rack because it seems to bind when
turned to the right. I'm not sure if it's a result of the accident, but
I have a spare in decent condition so I'd rather swap it out.

So I removed the rack from the column. The column is now unbolted from
the large bulkhead bracket, and disengaged from the spline on the rack.
The three bolts in the circular flange in the footwell are still in
place. My column is free to move back into the cockpit, and when moved
far enough in, it's disengahed from the circular footwell flange, such
that the steering wheel will drop and touch the floor and the pinch-bolt
end points skyward. This to me doesn't look right. It looks like there's
a cup bit inside that used to be connected to the flange, and isn't
anymore.

So, is the column irreparably damaged? If so, anyone have a good
collapsible column?

TIA.

-=Chris