RE: Springs?

To: "'Bob Van Kirk'" <racerbob70@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Springs?
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:23:59 -0400
One of the lessons I learned from my racing days is that springs must be
allowed to compress and rebound SMOOTHLY, with no tight spots, or
binding.  This is why there are (at least, there should be) Teflon pads
between the spring leaves.  When the pads wear through, and the butt
ends of one leaf grind a 'notch' in the next leaf, this also changes
your spring rate, when the spring compresses, and the leaves encounter
more resistance, due to the notch.  In extreme cornering situations,
this sudden increase in roll stiffness can lead to instant oversteer,
which may be too big of a surprise for some to correct for.
I wonder how many of our cars have the above-described issues?  I'm
betting it's a pretty high percentage.  My only currently road worthy
Spridget has new springs, as of a few years ago, so it's OK.  I'm
getting ready to take the rear springs, from the '73 my youngest son and
I are restoring, to the spring shop, for reconditioning before they go
back on the car.  It should not be an expensive process, and the ride
height should be more correct than what I'd get with new springs, from
the usual suspects (Moss, for example).
Bud Osbourne