Klunk/NoKlunk!

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Klunk/NoKlunk!
From: "Bud Pazur" <bpazur@excel.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:24:50 -0500
My street Bugeye had developed a nasty 'klunk' emanating from th rear when
ever I started off in 1st gear or backed up. I checked all the usual suspects
(loose U-joint bolts, suspension bolts) - nothing. Then I looked in the
differential/axle troubleshooting section of my Haynes - it mentioned a loose
pinion gear nut as a possible culprit. So I put a socket wrench on it, and
found it not very tight. Then I noticed it was supposed to be torqued to 140
ft-lb! So with a pipe wrench and a torque wrench I got it torqued to 140
ft-lb. No more klunk! Makes me feel good when I actually fix something. Just
wanted to pass this along, in case it helps someone.

Bud

Whitey - 1275 Street Bugeye
Redd - 948 Race Bugeye
SilverStreak - 1275 Race Sprite
"The Buddha... resides as comfortably in the gears of a...transmission as he
does in the petals of a flower"

- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and  the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance