Speedo repair

To: Midgetsprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Speedo repair
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:00:50 -0500
The Midget was missing a speedo cable when I got it. I finally got one
in it today only to find out that there may have been a reason for the
missing speedo cable. Apparently the speedo is not working either.

Questions:

Can a novice open up the Smiths speedo and perhaps fix it or should I
send it to a speedo shop somewhere?

If I do send it to a speedo shop, which one do you recommend and is it
cost effective as opposed to buying a new one?

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City still trying to figure out how badly I'm
breaking the law....
--
1964 R60/2 BMW
1968 MG Midget