Re: gearbox oil again

To: Lester Ewing <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Subject: Re: gearbox oil again
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:55:39 GMT
Hi, Lester...

definitely gear oil in the Datsun conversion
however, it can be synthetic or the old stuff.

The old stuff gives you the best synchro action which is understandable
considering
the old stuff is what the box was desgined to run on while the more slippery
synthetic
will allow the synchros to be easily beat.

However....
synthetic allows much better shiftability in
cold weather, while the old stuff has got
to be more thoroughly warmed if you ever
want to get passed it's "beefy" synchro and into second gear!! My '85 VW GTi's
box is
the same in cold wx.

I use synthetic (90w-140) 'cause I'm easy on the mechanicals in any case and
non-
competitive in my driving. 'cept for
"separation", I could care less what the
other guy does or doesn't do.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)