U-Joints & Grease Fittings

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: U-Joints & Grease Fittings
From: John Caffrey <jdc6@lehigh.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 09:19:56 -0400
The standard Spridget U-joint and Paul's conversion U-joint both have
the cross threaded for an extended grease fitting, 7/8" overall and
about 5/8" extends from the cross. The extended fitting limits the
angularity of the joint and I actually broke one while assembling the
driveshaft. The conversion joint gives the option of installing a grease
fitting in one of the caps which solves the problem at the front end,
but that's not possible with the Spridget rear joint becasue of the
circlips. Standard length grease fittings won't fit because the hex
interferes with the shoulders on the cross. Do I need to search for a
shorter extended grease fitting?  Have others found this to be a problem?
John
Fogelsville, PA
74 MG Midget
67 MG Midget