1275cc Engine block rear main seal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1275cc Engine block rear main seal
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:05:59 EDT
Hi list,

One of the reasons I got back on the list was for this post.

I have a 1275cc engine block (12V casting) that I plan to build into a new
engine for my Sprite.  It was a bare block aside from the main caps but doesn't
have that little half moon piece that goes at the back of the block - AEG420
Gasket cover or rear cover crankcase.

Initially I wasn't unduly concerned about it not having this piece as I
planned to have a 'proper' oil seal fitted using one of the many kits available
(with the kit the half moon piece isn't used).  However, some recent feedback
on
the seals in the rear main seal kit have left me indecisive and without the
option of the stock sealing 'method' as I don't have a half moon piece.

So, has anyone scrapped a block and kept a half moon piece they dont' want?
Or has anyone fitted a rear main seal and so pleased with it they don't want
the half moon piece?

Also, I'd be interested in feedback on very successful 1275cc engine rear
main seal conversions and what kit was used.  From what I can tell premature
seal
life has been the issue.

Regards

Daniel1312