Re: Bugeye Steering Column (Now Horn Ground)

To: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>,
Subject: Re: Bugeye Steering Column (Now Horn Ground)
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 22:48:19 -0400
>I can figure a
>way to ground it but was there a "factory" way?  It had to be an issue with
>the cars when new.
>
>Mark
>Nashville

I just looked at a frame off restoration of a Chevy SS 454(?) convertible
with factory air conditioning. I was told it is now a $250,000 car. Every
nut, bolt, fastener, clip, hose, wire, etc was perfect. I asked the shop
owner how he assured good grounds. He said they bolt the ground wires to
the frame, block, etc. as original. Then they disassemble so they can see
the outline of the fastener. Then they scrape away the paint under the
fastener, apply a little dielectric grease and use a star washer as did the
factory. The star washer helps assure  good electrical contact.

Saw some other nice cars too.  Saw a new paint job on a new Vette because
the owner wanted the paint "done right." $1500 in materials alone. It sure
was "purty."

Tim Collins
Midland, MI
1966 AH Sprite