Re: FROG AYE gets a ride home, no weather content

To: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Subject: Re: FROG AYE gets a ride home, no weather content
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:36:40 -0500
Hal,

When my clutch plate went last year the symptoms were pretty similar
except there was a kind of muffled bang. For me it also happened when
I downshifted to third but the clutch had been getting a little
"grabby" the previous few days. Replacing the clutch turned out to be
fairly easy despite my lack of experience. If I had had the time and
the tools I could have done it alone in about 2 eight hour days. With
Frank's experience I could have done it on... Oh... Say ....   10
minutes, right Frank?   Anyway, it's not hard even for a 61 year old
novice with a bad back.  Hardest part was getting the drive shaft back
into the tranny!

Frank is correct. Check the half shafts first. Way back when, I broke
a couple of half shafts on my 46 TC.  Jack up the rear of the car so
that both wheels are off the ground. Turn one wheel and watch the
other one. If it doesn't turn, you have a broken half shaft. It should
turn in the opposite direction of the one you are rotating.

Also, can you move the shifter through the gears?  That's what pretty
much assured me that I didn't have transmission troubles.

If all else fails, put it on a flat bed trailer and tow it down to
Buster's. It'll be just one more little challenge for the OSHIT
team...

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City