low oil pressure

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: low oil pressure
From: john.dagostino@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:59:54 +0000
Hi.
Seems to be a bit slow today here at work, which has me thinking about the lack
of oil pressure I'm seeing in the Sprite. It's a 1968 1275 motor. It runs fine,
does not burn oil, the valves were done before I got the car and the
compression is fine although I can't remember the numbers.
When the motor is cold, pressure comes up to 40+ psi, then when hot goes to 10
to 0 psi. I changed the spring which seemed to be the same tension as the new
one, with no change.
So, do these oil pumps wear out or would you suspect that the main and cam
bearings are just worn out? I suppose the gauge could be bad also.
If the motor needs to come out can it be removed leaving the gearbox in place?

Thanks,
John