RE: Front Brakes WTF?!?

To: "'Chris K'" <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>,
Subject: RE: Front Brakes WTF?!?
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:11:49 -0400
Chris,
I wonder if the brake pedal shaft bushing has seized on the pedal
mounting bolt.  When that occurs, the brake pedal does not return,
completely, to the "full off" position, which prevents the fluid from
returning into the cylinder....in other words, the brakes are dragging a
bit.  As they heat up, and the fluid gets hot & expands (and it doesn't
take much), there's no way for it to escape back into the reservoir.
Hence, the brakes lock on, until everything cools down.  Next time you
get in and try the brakes, all seems normal.
Have someone sit in the driver's seat, and depress the brake pedal.  If
the blot turns with the pedal (the movement will only be about 1/16 to
1/8 turn, probably), that will confirm the diagnosis.  It can go on for
a long time, until either the bolt wears a groove in itself, from where
it turns in the mounting bracket, or the bolt wears the hole, in the
bracket, out of round.  Eventually, it gets pinched, and won't quite
release.
I freed mine up with Gibbs Brand Penetrant, and it's fine, for now,
until I get a chance to pull it out of there for a look-see and
recondition.
Bud Osbourne