starter problem

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: starter problem
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:38:29 -0700
With the new motor and its higher compression along with the
new-motor-stiffness, the old starter can't turn it over fast enough to start.
What is the usual cause of a starter loosing torque?  I'll be taking it out
tonight to check/rebuild.  I presume its caused by poor brush/armature
contact......?

If that doesn't help I'll swap with the gear reduction starter out of Bugsy
for a week or so until the new motor starts and loosens up.  I'd don't like
the idea of push starting a new motor in a car for the first time.
Out-of-timing backfiring and so forth make for too much drama in the
neighborhood streets.

Glen