Steering Wheel Removal

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheel Removal
From: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:58:16 -0400
Guys,

    A bit late, but maybe this will help. I had the same concerns as does
Chris. Here`s how I ended up. To protect the horn pusher, I soldered a piece
of copper tubing about an inch or so long to a spare steering wheel nut,
threaded that nut on the shaft end, then used a standard two-arm puller with
the fingers taped. Cushioned puller fingers under the hub, puller screw on the
copper tubing, the wheel popped right off, more or less.
   To save all that next time, I drilled and tapped two holes inside the hub
to accomodate a commercial steering wheel puller. I suppose that part could
have been done first, but you would still need the home made adapter to cover
the horn push. Regards to all,

Bert Shirey
60 Bugeye/66 Midget 1098