Re: Supercharged Sprites

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Supercharged Sprites
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:30:01 -0400 (EDT)
Don't know much about supercharged Sprites other than the fact that DMH fitted
Shorrock units which were manufactured in the old country and were made for a
variety of applications. Shorrock units pop-up on ebay every now and then.

Judson, a US manufacturer formerly in PA, are the commonly found brand of unit
in the U.S. Their units were fairly popular in the 50's and 60's at a time when
Sprites were being delivered with 42hp. Reports of improved performance vary
from owner to owner that have installed them. Some owners report numerous setup
issues; others praise them. The common wisdom seems to be that time and $ are
better spent on building a 1275, but those who claim success with Judsons may
argue otherwise. Judsons were created for 948's but apparently can be modified
for a 1275 installation.

Quality Judson rebuilds are available through George Folchi in CT.

I was never particularly intrigued by them. They are little too exotic for my
limited mechanical knowledge. I had an NOS unit years ago. Someone approached
me at a car show back in 1981 and told me they had one "brand new in the box".
Turns out he did and I bought it from him in the parking lot at the mall in
Middletown, NY. It was a clandestine transaction pulled-off with CIA accuracy.
$150. One of my better value Sprite purchases. The best part of the whole
thing, and this is going to sound silly, was the Judson box. In big letters on
the side was "ANOTHER PACKAGE OF POWER FROM JUDSON!" I kept it for a long time
until I finally traded it for an early 60's Lotus dealer sign.

That's about all I know, which ain't much, but I was able to squeeze-out quite
a number of words regardless. (The Bob influence.) If there is anything else I
don't know anything about that you want me to answer, just let me know.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/