Re: Gasoline leak (No LBC)

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Gasoline leak (No LBC)
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:21:05 -0500
On 6/19/06, Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net> wrote:

> I plugged a hole in a Ford gas tank with a screw and some Phenoseal
> caulk. (it's water based and gas will not eat it)
> It lasted from 1976 thru 1984 when I sold the car ;)

I wonder if the same stuff would work today with the mixed cocktail of
fuel we are now seeing at the pumps. There were a number of motorcycle
gas tank sealers we used throught the 80s which are desolving like
crazy today because of the change in fuel mixes. A lot of guys I know
are now having to go back and re-line gas tanks as the old sealers are
disappearing. One friend has a tank he had to give up on. It was
starting to "sweat" fuel so we took it off, dried it out and took a
good look at the inside. You could see light through it in places!! I
have used POR15 as a sealant for years, but I'm now seeing ethanol
mixes starting to desolve it! I'm currently working with some other
folks to try to find a tank liner/sealant which will stand up to
today's fuels. I'll post to this group when/if we find something that
works.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City