Wire Wheel Hubs

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Wire Wheel Hubs
From: John Caffrey <jdc6@lehigh.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:11:30 -0400
I muddled through my first time working on front wire wheel hubs. The
job is finished, but I thought a discussion might make it easier in the
future or help someone else. I had hoped to clean, inspect, pack and
reinstall the bearings, but wasn't able to remove them in one piece. Is
it possible to remove the bearings without damage?  I'm 4 for 4. After
washing the hub I could see where I could make the notches larger to
make it easier next time to remove the outer bearing.

What is the prefered tool to R&R the rotor mounting bolts on WW hubs?
Even my thin wall swivel socket had clearance problems. Crowsfoot wrench
maybe? Again I could grind clearance for a socket, but there just might
be something I'm missing.
John
Fogelsville, PA