Re: Elementary Trouble Shooing

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Elementary Trouble Shooing
From: "Bud Pazur" <bpazur@excel.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:55:49 -0500
Robert D. wrote:

Before I start messing around, can someone tell me the most non-intrusive
place to start.  I have a car that used to run well.  Well, actually it used
to run well at low rpms ( up to 4k ) and then bog.  Then shortly after the
introduction of Sunoco Ultra, it revved nicely.  In both these cases, when it
warmed up, it idled a bit fast.  Then, for no apparent reason, it no longer
idles, it dies.

>Note: this may not be a British car, though it is little.  It sports a
Weber, which is foreign to me.

Robert -

I have had that trouble with my street Bug with SUs. It happens when the car
gets warm and the cold idle is set at about 1000 RPM.When it got warm the
idle would just deteriorate to zero. I recently raised the cold idle to about
1500 so when it warms up it drops to about 1000 and doesn't stall as much. I
don't know much about Webers either, but my race car Weber intake manifolds
are wrapped in a lot of insulating cloth/tape of some sort. Maybe you could
try that. Maybe its some sort of vapor lock.

Bud Pazur

'60 Bugeye - Street Car - 1275cc - 'Whitey'
Race Bugeye - 948cc - 'Redd'
Race Spridget - 1275cc - 'SilverStreak'

"The Buddha ... resides as comfortably in the gears of a ...transmission as
he does in the petals of a flower."
     - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance