Re: Hey front end gurus

To: <biffjones@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Hey front end gurus
From: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:44:49 -0700
I went and did a closer inspection. First thing I found was that the
tire pressure is off. LH was 30, RH was 18. They're both at 26 now,
which should help.

I measured the distance from the center of the tie rod end stud to the
end of the threads on the iner tie rod. About 3 1/2" each side, both the
same. This assumes theat both tie rods are threaded to the same length.

I measured (or tried to) the toe with a tape measure, and got about
1/16" toe in. But with the wheel straight ahead, the left tire looks
like it's straight, while the right tire looks like it's turned left
slightly. Turning the wheel that 30 degrees I mentioned straightens the
wheels out visually.

The car dug in on its slide on the left side before it flipped. The left
shock arm was bent, I replaced it with a good used one. I did not touch
the right side as it looked fine. I did have a bit of trouble lining
things up putting everything back together, so maybe somethings still
not straight in there. The steering arm becomes one suspect as well.

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I need to do a full DIY alignment
check. Or take it to a shop...

-=Chris