Re: Geo Metro Radiator

To: Joe Lansing <kidjoevid@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Geo Metro Radiator
From: "K. Valentine" <kevin@valentinephoto.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:42:00 -0400
On Jun 26, 2006, at 7:05 PM, Joe Lansing wrote:

> Sorry if this shows up twice - I sent earlier today
> and it never appeared...
>
> I want to learn a bit more about using a Geo Metro
> radiator for my new 1275. I understand one from an A/T
> car is a bit shorter and may fit better - can anyone
> confirm? Whats the best way to wire in a thermostatic
> control for the fan? Any tips on mounting?

Joe,

I'll save Frank some typing.  He posted this in 2004 after we made a
run to the local pick & pull;

Frank Wrote;

I use the Metro radiator. Not sure what year it is, it's the one that
looks like a honduh ;) Make that last year's honduh, this year's mazduh.
You know the totally redesigned model.
It's the little 3 banger with semi hide away headlights.
You need the rad from the automatic model, the stick uses a taller
rad for some reason. Just clip the trans cooling lines off.
Or if you think it would make a good oil cooler, talk to me.
Get the Metro electric fan too. You will have to cut off one support
where it interferes with the steering rack. I never did bother
remaking that support. 2 years now and it doesn't move or rattle.
Stock Sprite hoses can be used too. Bottom hose fits as is. Top hose
needs a cross flow upper hose and the reversed cross flow t/stat
housing. I think you have to cut a bit off the stock cross flow hose.
I made 2 little "L" brackets to hold the rad to the existing bugeye
radiator supports. No new holes made. It's a little close on the
Metro radiator edges but I used a 10/32 screw and threaded my L
bracket to screw the rad in from the back. The bottom of the rad sits
in between the frame rails. No support needed there.

Kevin V.