Re: seats

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: seats
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:01:51 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
The only tricky part about seats is finding good seat pans if you don't have
good seat pans already. The seat frames seldom rust to the point that they are
unusable.

New pans are pricey but they can be gotten from Alan Fischer on this list.

Covering the seats is not difficult but it is "fussy work" meaning that you
need to do it slowly and attend to details like  pulling the material for a
proper fit, adjusting the seat covers, placing foam or jute in just the right
places and so on.

Personally, after seeing the quality work of a professional shop, I opted to
have seats upholstered at a shop, at the time in Massachussetts, who had one a
number of Healey seats. The cost was similar to buying pre-made seat covers and
the fit was far superior to the average home job.  I have no problem doing
seats and carpets, but I can't do the fit that a professional shop can do. (See
the link to my website.)

I'm not sure from your email what you have now for seats. Until the frames
changed to the wide seats used in the later 60's, they are basically the same
which means that you only need to install the appropriate seat cover pattern.

If the opposite is the case and you do have later seats, you will need to get
new seat frames. The only difference in the driver and passenger seats is that
the driver seat is on runners so that if you a dwarf, you have the ability of
moving the seat forward.

Not being a mind-reader, I can't guess whether Moss thinks seats should cost
the samae as an engine. But knowing the cost of a proper engine rebuild I can
guaranty that seats don't cost anywhere near that amount.

But seriously, I would expect the spend maybe $300 for seat upholstery, plus
whatever foam costs should yours need renewing plus $100 each +/- for seat
pans. If you have foam cushions with the round holes in the bottom, you can
take sheets of foam, roll it up and insert the rolls into the tubular holes to
firm-up the seat cushion. You will be surprised how different it is sitting in
a Spridget in seats that don't sag.

Re=reading your email, I guess you have aftermarket seats, so you will need the
whole shabang (shabangs are somewhat extensive, but still do-able) but maybe
someone on the list can help out or there is alway shebay.

Whatever you do, good luck.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/