Pulling My Hair Out

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Pulling My Hair Out
From: JMFarley50@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:06:37 EDT
Finished building a +.030 1275 out of two and installing it in my  bugeye.
After getting everything hooked up, it wouldn't start.   Checked everything
over at least 3 times.  It seemed like an obvious timing  problem.  Even went
back in and removed and aligned the new timing chain  again.  Was using a
Leyland
Cars Workshop Manual for  Sprite Marks II, III and IV & Midgets I, II and
III  (15th Edition).  For installing the  distributor drive it has a drawing
and
says the slot should end up in  approximately the two o'clock position.  In
two places it says that the you  should have "....the large offset uppermost".
The drawing  also clearly shows the large offset in the upper position.
After many hair  pulling sessions with a knowledgeable friend, a third friend
discovered that at  TDC the valves for #4, not #1, cylinder were in the correct
firing position,  thus the dizzy was 180 degrees off.  As a quick check we
switched  spark plug wires so that #4 was the new #1, etc. and it started
immediately.  Did some initial tuning and it sounds really good.  Will  go in
and
change the dizzy drive later.  ( Afterwards I checked a  B.M.C. Workshop Manual
for the Mark I  Sprite.  They show an actual picture and, guess what,  the
large
off-set is in the lower position.  Their  text only says to install it like
the picture.)  Anybody know the  author of the Leyland manual????????

Have one obvious problem, a good amount of oil leaking from both the front
and rear oil pan seals.  In the rebuild I used a Payen gasket set  with the
rubber type sump seals.  Any suggestions to lesson this  leaking?

Will need to go in and rebuild the bugeye differential in the future.   Seems
like, with the 1275, a lower gear ratio than the 4.22 : 1 would make  sense.
Can a lower ratio gear set be installed and what are some  recommendations?

Thanks,  John F.

p.s. Don't have enough hair left to go through many more of these  sessions.