Re: removing fulcrum pin

To: Joe Lansing <kidjoevid@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: removing fulcrum pin
From: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 19:57:16 -0400
Joe, Note that the fulcrum pin is threaded. In the end where you
remove the grease fitting, after you clean out the grease, you will
see a BIG slot for a BIG screwdriver. If the fulcrum has been well
greased over the years, it will screw out. If not, heat, and a impact
screw driver "may" get it. If it is really bad, time for new a-arms.
Or at the minimum, new fulcrum pin.

Also note Jay mentioned the threaded "cotter" pin. It is a tapered
pin with a little bitty nut on the top side. It has to come out
before the pin will screw out.

Larry

On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Joe Lansing wrote:

> Are there any special tricks to removing a frozen
> fulcrum pin from an a-arm? I guess besides heating,
> and bashing it with a huge drift punch - I'm afraid of
> bending the a-arm itself.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe Lansing
> 62 Sprite

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've
never actually known what the question is." - Douglas Adams

believed to be clean.